McCormick Care Group – COVID-19 Update
Saturday, August 29, 2020
This is a McCormick Care Group – COVID-19 Update for Saturday, August 29, 2020. We will continue to provide these updates twice weekly, on Mondays and Thursdays, or as needed.
There are no probable or suspected cases of COVID-19 among our residents or staff at this time.
On Friday, August 28, 2020 we received notification from the Ministry of Long Term Care, at the end of the day, that effective immediately, residents can spend time away from the long-term care homes for day trips or overnight absences.
Short Stay Absences
- Residents may leave the home’s property on a short stay absence for health care-related, social, or other reasons. This does not include an overnight stay, except for single-night emergency room visits
- Residents on a short stay absence must wear a medical mask at all time when outside the home (if tolerated). The home must provide the medical mask and remind residents about the importance of public health measures including physical distancing
- Residents returning from a short stay absence must be actively screened but are not required to be tested or self-isolate
- Emergency room visits that take place over a single night (e.g. assessment and discharge from the emergency department spans one overnight period) should also be considered equivalent to an outpatient medical visit that does not require testing or self-isolation upon return
- Residents may also leave the home’s property for a temporary absence (one or more nights) for personal reasons. Homes must review and approve the temporary absence based on a case-by-case risk assessment.
- All residents returning from a temporary absence are required to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return to protect their neighbours
- If a home denies a temporary absence request, the home must communicate this to the resident/substitute decision maker in writing, including the rationale for this decision
We are anticipating additional updates this week and will provide more information as it becomes available.