Registration Now Open for Alzheimer Outreach Services Caregiver Education Series
LONDON – January 4, 2016 – Alzheimer Outreach Services (AOS) will once again be hosting an eight-week caregiver education program starting on February 2, 2016. The program, which is held four times a year, is designed to provide important practical information for caregivers of persons with Alzheimer disease and related dementias.
The program is free of charge and pre-registration is required. Each Tuesday evening session will be held from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at Alzheimer Outreach Services, which is located in the east wing of McCormick Home at 2022
Kains Road in London. To register, please call 519-439-9336, ext. 2347.
The topics for the eight-week program are as follows:
- February 2 – Putting a Face on Dementia (presented by AOS Social Workers)
- February 9 – What Do Medical Experts Say? (Dr. Michael Borrie and Dr. Lisa VanBussel)
- February 16 – Communication: Our Most Important Human Link (Dr. J.B. Orange)
- February 23 – All Behaviours Have a Meaning – What are their Causes and How Do We Manage Them? (AOS Social Workers and Recreational Specialists)
- March 1 – Transitions in Dementia Care (AOS and McCormick Home Social Workers)
- March 8 – How Important is Self-care for the Caregiver? (AOS Social Workers)
- March 15 – More Tools for the Toolbox (information session featuring selected community services and products, including Connect Care, Meals on Wheels, DuraMed and Healthline)
- March 22 – Where Do We Go from Here? (Anne Reinhart, Lerners LLP)
Alzheimer Outreach Services (AOS) is an accredited, London, Ontario-based non-profit organization offering a variety of high quality programs and services for families who are living with dementia. In operation since 1985, AOS is housed in the McCormick Home building and offers a popular day program for individuals with dementia, the largest of its kind in Ontario, as well as various specialized respite and support services for caregivers managed by dedicated and experienced professionals. AOS believes strongly in person-centred care and in preserving the dignity and identity of all those in our program.
McCormick Home is owned and operated by the WCA, a non-denominational charitable organization of female leaders based in London, Ontario. Founded in 1874 as the Women’s Christian Association, the WCA has a long and remarkable history of providing compassionate care to the community, including the establishment of McCormick Home, Alzheimer Outreach Services, Parkwood Hospital and Wellspring London and Region. Today, the WCA continues to oversee the operation of McCormick Home, a long-term care home for seniors, and Alzheimer Outreach Services.
Monica Fleck, Communication Director
WCA, Alzheimer Outreach Services and McCormick Home
Phone: 519-432-2648, ext. 2405