McCormick Care Group – COVID-19 Update
Tuesday, July 14, 2021
This is a McCormick Care Group – COVID-19 Update for Wednesday, July 14, 2021.
The Ministry of Long-Term Care released updated information today in advance of the province proceeding to Step Three of the Roadmap to Reopen Plan, effective July 16, 2021.
There are some key changes I would like to highlight, and additional information will be provided next week once some clarification is obtained. There is a need to remain vigilant regarding COVID-19, especially with respect to new variants of concern (e.g., the Delta variant).
Rapid Testing- Effective July 16, when the province enters Step Three of the Roadmap to Reopen, individuals who are fully immunized will no longer be subject to surveillance testing requirements when attending a long-term care home. If an individual chooses not to disclose their vaccination status, then the testing requirements remain as set out in the Ministry Directive. For confirmation purposes, an individual must show proof of their vaccination status.
As previously communicated from earlier ministry communications, the following changes also take effect on July 16, 2021:
- Returning to the model where homes set their own maximums for visitors based on operational capabilities, with potential guidance on minimums
- Permitting buffet and family style dining (we are awaiting clarification on what is intended by this statement)
- Allowing activities such as karaoke, singing, and dancing
- Permitting all residents to go on day and overnight absences regardless of their immunization status
- Enabling the resumption of off-site group excursions for residents
- Changing the daily symptom screening of residents from twice daily to a minimum of once daily
- Adjusting eye protection requirements for all staff and essential visitors who are providing care within two metres of a resident who is on droplet/contact precautions and/or directly in an outbreak setting. Otherwise, the use of eye protection will now be based on a point-of-care risk assessment.
We are currently reviewing all of the information received and further updates will be provided next week. We thank you for your patience as we ensure that the safety of our home remains our top priority.
Have a great day,